Friday, July 29, 2011

Cutter's Remorse

Yesterday I finally chopped off my hair.  Something I experimented with around this time last year, so I wasn't nervous about it.  In fact, I was beyond excited.  I had some mixed feelings about it after I left, but then after a few hours I decided I liked it.  This morning, after my shower, I straightened it and that didn't work out so well.  It just looked so weird! I rewet it and still it looked odd.  I had cutter's remorse.  What had I done?! My hair was gone and I look like a pinhead.  I am slightly ashamed to say that I shed a couple remorseful tears.  But then got on with my day.  I still don't know how I feel about it.  It certainly stirred up some memories of haircuts past.

I recall my first significant haircut.  Mom is going to hate me for this one.  I was five and mom said I had to get my bangs trimmed.  Well, mom lied.  I went from having waist length hair to a pixie cut.  Granted, I didn't brush my hair.  In fact, I think I'd just kind of pull it out when it got too snarly.  I understand why mom had my hair cut, but for a girlie-girl like me, it was a travesty.  I don't know if I did something to really tick her off that year but to make matters worse, she dressed me in yellow (w/that haircut) for my kindergarten moving up ceremony.  I definetly know some people thought I was a little boy.  If I ever come across the photos, they will surely be posted.

After "The Great Haircut Travesty of 86" I kept my hair as long as possible until I hit those akward tween years.  It was obvious I didn't have a clue what to do with my hair back then.  Straightening irons were not heard of.  Getting a perm or wave was the way to go.  I donned the infamous spiral perm. 
Sasha & Me with my Weird Al inspired perm.
I had strange and bewildering hair right up until I graduated high school.  Besides the perms I experimented with all different haircuts, hair dyes (note to self: NEVER use any type of 'ash' color dye for it will turn my hair green), kool aid for hair dye, peroxide, Sun-In and lemon juice.  I spent numerous dollars on pomades, waxes, oils, Frizz-Ease, serums, basically anything that I thought could tame my thick, not straight-not curly, frizzy hair.  It was all junk that made everything worse.

Since high school I have had pretty decent hair and only one bad experience.  A few years ago, I asked for a layered cut with long bangs.  The hairdresser started like three inches back from my forehead and cut this huge chunk straight back.  I knew it was bad when she started saying (before I saw my hair) "This is what you said you wanted." B*tch.  It took one month of wearing a baseball cap and a complete year of making it blend before it looked normal again.

I will learn to like my new haircut.  My hair grows fast, plus, it's just hair.  I will make do with what I have and use my favorite products to get me through.


The New Do



 My Favorites:
  • de-Luxe Rosemary Mint Shampoo & Conditioner (sold on Drugstore.com)
  • John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shampoo & Conditioner- rotated with the de-Luxe brand
  • BioSilk Silk Strate
  • BioSilk Silk Therapy *This is about $20 for a 12 oz. bottle but you only use a dime size amount at a time (so it lasts forever).  It gets rid of frizz instantly.  Works really well prior to straightening. It just WORKS!
  • Con Air Ceramic Straightening Iron

Today's Sweatpants brought to you by Forever 21. 

No comments:

Post a Comment